In the past couple of months, I have joined two organizations; one as a mentor and one for recreational purposes!
The Lower East Side Girls Club (LESGC) located in downtown Manhattan focuses on providing girls and young women educational after- school programs that help foster and cultivate confidence. I first heard about the organization through Gabby B's blog and became interested in the mentoring program. I quickly signed up and became a mentor for the Crafty Chicas program where once a month I meet my mentee and work on arts and crafts projects. Last month we painted signs for the Sweet Things Bake Shop located on Ave. C. Since Hurricane Sandy hit Ave. C pretty hard, the bake shop- the only source of income for LESGC- had to close down. Our painted signs served as a Thank You to the many patrons for their support throughout the years. You can view more photos from the event here at the LESGC Blog
The other organization that I recently joined is Levo League. I first heard about Levo League through another site I subscribe to; Under30CEO. While reading my favorite segment, "Young Entrepreneurs" I read about the two co-founders; Caroline Ghosn and Amanda Pouchet and felt passionate about what their mission is- building a social community of like-minded professional people by offering career advancement advice, social etiquette in the workplace and setting up local events.
Last Monday, I attended my first Levo League event, which was a book club and we read "By Invitation Only: How We Built Gilt and Changed the Way Millions Shop" by Alexis Maybank and Alexandra Wilikis Wilson. At First I was apprehensive about the event because I did not know anyone, but as soon as the discussion started, I came to realize that I was surrounded by a group of young women who, like me, were either trying to figure out their next career move, in the the early stages of their own start-up, wanted career advice or to meet like-minded individuals who were passionate and ambitious about becoming successful based on their own terms.
Below is a list of sites I subscribe to and maybe you might find interesting or helpful as well:
- Honest Company- Natural and eco-friendly e-commerce site co-founded by celebrity Jessica Alba
- The Skimm- The top local and international news headlines written in layman's terms to help you delivered to your inbox daily. Think of the WSJ front page.
- The Conversationist- This blog is run by Amanda De Cadenet and focuses on content that honors the questions females ask themselves in this day and age. This blog also runs synonymously with the TV series, 'The Conversation' co-produced by Demi Moore and airing on Lifetime. You can watch episodes here.
- Poshly- a beauty giveaway site that allows you to enter to win beauty products by taking a quiz that automatically enters your name in the draw.
- Women In Wireless- an organization of women in digital and mobile media with mentoring services, local networking events, etc. I attended the WIW Holiday party at the Soho House last night and met great women ranging from careers in start-ups to big media companies like Yahoo! If you're looking to network with women who understand the need for more female leaders in the digital space or a career change, join this org!
Have a lovely weekend everyone!